Monday, January 09, 2006

Matar Paneer Paratha - Indian Bread Stuffed with Cottage Cheese & Green Peas


We were fortunate to have good Punjabi neighbours (in our growing years) who made some of the best paranthas and who taught us the art of preparing authentic Punjabi parathas.I grew up eating different varieties of stuffed parathas prepared with almost all vegetables and greens I can ever think of ..carrots,radish,potatoes,cauliflower, spinach,methi leaves,coriander,mint, onions, paneer, sprouts..and more.In fact, I relished eating parathas stuffed with left over dal,rice and veggies for breakfast, brunch or dinner.

Paratha which is basically a N.Indian fare are unleavened flat breads similar to tortillas .The art of cooking up a paratha is something that is mastered over time..practice,practice and more practice.I must appreciate Paz of " The Cooking Adventures of Chef Paz" in her maiden attempt at preparing parathas.She sure did a great job...keeping in mind Indian Cuisine is absolutely new to her.I am yet to master the art making a perfect parantha like amma.

Parathas serve as a healthy wholesome food for growing children and for kids who dont eat their veggies,giving them stuffed parathas is a smart way to get them to eat their veggies.I get my child to eat his vegetables with stuffed paranthas and make it for breakfast and also pack it as a tiffin for him to eat at play school.Speaking of breakfast,Meena of Hooked on Heat is hosting yet another very interesting theme ..."breakfast". "Matar Paneer Paranthas" is the entry "From My Rasoi" for this month's breakfast theme.










For the dough:
3/4 cup maida (all purpose flour)
1 cup atta (whole meal flour)
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
salt to taste
3/4 cup buttermilk (whisk 2 tbsp yogurt with enough water to make 1 cup of buttermilk)

For the stuffing:
1 small cup boiled peas lighly mashed
1 small cup grated panner (cottage cheese)









1" ginger
2-3 minched green chillis(you can reduce if you want less spice)
2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp garam masala pwd
salt to taste

Mix the two flours,salt and ghee.Add enough buttermilk to the flours and knead a soft dough.Set aside covered with a thin wet cloth (so that the dough doesnt dry) and let it sit for an hour.

Mix together minced ginger and chopped coriander leaves and make paste.Mix the mashed green peas and this paste and stir fry for 2 mts in a little ghee.Add garam masala and a pinch of salt and mix.Finally add the grated cottage cheese and mix well and make small balls and keep aside.

Divide the dough into small portions(shape into lemon sized balls) and flatten each ball (approx 3"-4" in diameter) and put a small ball of the stuffing in the center.Cover the mixture by drawing the edges towards the center and mould into a ball again.









Take each of these stuffed balls and by pressing on a floured board ,roll into a round (pancake shape) (approx 6"-7" diameter) paratha with a rolling pin. Pre-heat a griddle or tawa and place a rolled out parantha and cook till small bubbles appear on top and then flip the paratha and cook it again for a few seconds or so by pressing with a spatula or kitchen towel.Brush little ghee/oil on both the sides along the edges and fry on both sides until brown patches appear.Keep flipping over both the sides and make sure that both the sides of the parantha are cooked well till golden brown.While preparing the paranthas ,keep the fried paranthas warm by placing them in a towel-lined basket or bowl and fold over the sides of the towel.
Note:Any left over dough can be refrigerated upto 3-4 days.The parathas taste just as good if not better and since the dough has been rested the paranthas can be rolled out easier.

Serve hot with yogurt,green chutney or any curry of your choice.So here I am indulging myself to a hot parantha with mango pickle(aam ka achaar)and my favorite beverage,masala chai, to bring down the chill of a winter morning!

,,,,

11 comments:

Deetsa said...

Wow! this sounds so good! I've never tried parathas. My knowledge of Indian food is rather limited despite my appreciation for it. My only problem is that I don't have paneer nor any chance to get any now for at least three months. I can't even make my own because the yoghurt I can get here is slop. Perhaps you could recommend a different stuffing or places where I could see different stuffings?

Stephanie said...

Oooh...look at that!

We've successfully made naan, but never attempted anything like this.

Looks wonderful, and I know Matt's going to want to try this!

sailu said...

Thediningdica,you could use mashed potato or grated carrots or any greens of your choice as a stuffing in place of paneer.Infact,you can make any stuffing of your choice.

Stephanie,you should make an attempt at this one..you will love it for sure..:)

Sure,cj,drop in anytime..:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sailu, please make me some parathas! They look soooooo good!

Anonymous said...

Sailu, you do have a magical hand when it comes to yummy food.These are absolutely photogenic!love to have these paranthas with yogurt ;)

Shammi said...

Can i come over for breakfast please? :)

sailu said...

Shammi and Rorie,just drop in anytime..:)

Thank you,Lera.

I couldnt agree with you more,Melissa..:)

Alysha said...

Oooooh...I can see I'm going to have to spend a lot more time on this blog. :)

rums said...

sailu, i have never made mattar paneer paratha but when i have some matar paneer leftover i usually mix it with some dough and make parathas and it tastes yum!

Anonymous said...

I love to look a your parathas. So delicious looking and what a real paratha is supposed to look like compared to my first attempt. Yes, practice, practice, practice! I will practice and hope to one day get a decent-looking paratha. Thanks for this recipe.

Best,
Paz

Anonymous said...

Hi Sailu,

I am been thru your site...you have good recipes. I have tried lots of blogs but yours is different.I likes the mutter-paneer paratha.
Do you know how to make Onion Pickle which we usually get In Indian Restaurents?If yes, plz. post the recipe.

Seetu