Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Let's Pledge - Not Waste Food!

New year brings promise and hope but not to this young child who is left at the mercy of nature.Can you imagine what it is to go hungry?Just imagine going without food for a day…..and there are millions who dont even get water to drink for days, leave alone eat a meal.This picture is so heart wrenching and is a harsh reminder of the grim reality that we are very fortunate while others suffer. UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAQ) in the edition of their annual hunger report have stated that around six million children each year die of hunger and malnutrition.

Let us take this opportunity to change the life of a few needy people in this new year and help build a world without poverty. Are our thoughts trying to help sustain a soul in need? Or are they turning a blind eye to the one who cries for help? Are they reaching out to answer a call? Are we directing our thoughts to where they can do some good and really make a positive difference? God has equipped each of us with this great gift to convert our thoughts into powerful prayer-that is, praying for someone instead of just thinking about them. Thoughts turned into prayers will materialize into God's blessings,protection,power,strength and God's healing balm poured out on those we pray for.

This picture was e-mailed to me by a friend with her new year resolution not to waste food and requesting me to do the same.Our traditional upbringing has taught us to respect the food we eat as God (Para Brahma Swaroopam). Let us all resolve and pledge this new year – “not waste food”.

“I promise I will never waste my food no matter how bad it tastes and how full I may be. I pray that He will protect this little boy, guide and deliver him from his misery. I pray that we will be more sensitive towards the world around us and not be blinded by our own selfish nature and interests. “

This would be one of the best resolution’s we could ever strive for – “not waste food ever”. It is not a difficult promise to keep and serves as a constant reminder to us that we are all the same with each of us having equal right to survive. Should we allow this child’s call for help remain unanswered like screams of millions like him that exist and somehow don’t disappear when the camera shoots their plight? Those of us who follow the practice of not to waste food also have the responsibility to ensure that the people we know, our friends and loved ones also follow the same.Let us all endeavour in our efforts to spread the word among friends,loved ones and community to inculcate this healthy practice to “not waste food” and also to get our children into this habit so that they can promote it further.I hope this picture will always serve as a reminder to us of how fortunate we are and that we must never ever take things for granted.

I have made my promise.Will you all make yours too...never to waste food?!Its the least we can do for a hungry child.

"Those who tell you it can't be done have always been around, but throughout history progress has always come from those who said it could be done."


,,,,

10 comments:

Swamy VKN said...

Sailu - great new looks with brilliant color combination. Just pl check out why it takes more time to open these days.

I fully agree with you on your new year resolution and pledge not to waste food, not a single grain. I have discussed this post of yours with my wife who wholeheartedly agree with this thought.

Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi Sailu,

This pic out here is so very touching. Thats true... many a times we waste food coz we do not like it or we just dont want to eat it, whilst at the same time there are so many who are starving & those include small, innocent children.
Well... the next time, if I even think of throwing food... I am definitely gonna remember this small child & avoid wasting food.

mae said...

I'm miserable and cranky when i'm hungry. I get the headaches too.

This photo is so sad. I can't bear it. I get weepy when i see this kind of things. Poor souls.

We are so lucky not to have to go through this.

Anonymous said...

Sailu, the pictures are captivating & it's very thoughtful of you to put this post!

The future does not just invite change, it is as if the curtain has raised and everyone has to think and start to do something in whatever way possible!

Ashwini said...

Hi Sailu, appreciate your thoughts behind this photo. Its so easy to get carried away when one has plenty. I think America in particular almost forces wastage on you with its abundance. Food bloggers in particular can spread the right message.

Deetsa said...

The picture touches my heart deeply. I have a picture, too, of my sponsor child in Africa on my fridge door. Always makes me think about my blessings and about not wasting the food I have been so blessed to receive.
I can only wish that the food marketing of the world could be so kind as to donate their surplus food to places where it is needed. I've heard this awful rumor that in such marketing food amounts surpassing the amount projected for the year are DUMPED so that the prices don't lower for the growers. I don't want the growers to starve but think of all that waste that could be used to preserve the lives of so many!

If anyone knows differently about this surplus food, please correct me. I'd like my ideals reinstated. It pains me to think that governments think more about money than ethics.

Meenal Mehta said...

Hey Sailu,

i see you redid the look and feel of your food blog..very nice ..

i have added you also to my links

Coming to this blog entry , i will just probbaly repeat what the others have said ,

A lot of people do not see misery,penury or want in any way .Therefore,they never realise how the food they waste could feed famished souls.

touching entry ..

IBH said...

i am with you!that photo is very touching!

Anonymous said...

A good promise to make.

Paz

Ilva said...

Yes, and no, we are not going to waste any food in this house, it's a promise!