Saturday, January 07, 2006

Kodi Gudu Pulusu - Boiled Eggs In Tamarind Gravy


"Pulusu" (Telugu term) comes from the word 'pulupu' meaning sour.Tamarind pulp (Chintapandu) is the main ingredient in Andhra pulupu kurallu (sour dishes)which gives the dish a tangy flavour.Jaggery or sugar is also used in some of the pulupu dishes which gives a sweet and sour flavour to the dish. Andhra cuisine consists of atleast one such gravy dish as part of a regular meal...like Pappu (lentil)Pulusu ,Menthi(Fenugreek) Pulusu,Pesara Pappu(Split yellow moong dal) Pulusu,Kaakarakaayi (bitter gourd)Pulusu , Bhendakaayi (Tinda/Gherkins)Pulusu,Chepa (fish)Pulusu.Any vegetable or meat cooked in a sweet and sour gravy is generally called "Pulusu" ....mind you,not all dishes call for jaggery or sugar.You can use most vegetables to prepare pulusu like lady's finger,egg plants,gherkins,bitter gourd,bottle gourd....well, the list can go on,the choice is yours.

I am using eggs in today's dish ..eggs are a regular in my kitchen and had earlier posted 'bagara anda masala'(eggs cooked in rich creamy sauce),a North Indian dish.'Gudu(egg)Pulusu' is a typical andhra dish where boiled eggs are cooked in onions and tamarind gravy and tempered with mustard seeds,methi seeds,garlic and curry leaves.It's generally served with hot steaming rice but it goes well with rotis too.

Ingredients:

6 boiled eggs make slits along the length of each egg and lightly fry them in 1 tbsp oil with a pinch of turmeric for approx 1-2 mts
2 onions chopped finely
3-4 green chillis slit length-wise
1 tsp red chilli powder
big pinch of turmeric pwd
3/4 tsp coriander pwd
1/4 tsp cumin pwd
1 tomato chopped (optional)
1 big lemon sized tamarind (soaked in warm water and pulp extracted)or 2-3 tbsp of tamarind paste (this can vary according to your choice)
1/2 tsp sugar
2 cups water
chopped coriander leaves for garnish
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp sugar
For tempering:1/4 tsp mustard seeds,big pinch of methi seeds(fenugreek seeds),3 flakes crushed garlic and few curry leaves

Heat oil in a vessel and mustard seeds and let them splutter.Now add methi seeds, curry leaves and fry for few seconds till methi turns brown.Add garlic and let it fry for 5 seconds.Dont brown the garlic...lightly fry it.
Add chopped onions and green chillies and fry till they turn light brown.
Now add chilli pwd,turmeric pwd,coriander pwd and cumin pwd,mix well and saute for few seconds.
Add chopped tomatoes and fry for 4-5 mts.
Add tamarind extract and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.Add salt and sugar and reduce heat and let it simmer for 2-3 mts.Add the boiled and fried eggs and let it cook in the gravy for 10 minutes or till you get the required gravy consistency.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve this hot steamed rice or rotis.

,,,,,

10 comments:

Deetsa said...

I'm just amazed by your site, sailu :) I've always been fond of Indian spices and curious about the application of ayurvedic principles. I'll be sure to be back many times to visit. Thanks for dropping by my place

--Nerissa

Dawna said...

I love tamarind. I don't use it nearly enough! This looks delicious, Sailu.

sailu said...

Thanks for dropping by,Nerissa.

Your most welcome,Melissa.

Dawna,believe me,the eggs taste great in this tangy gravy.

CJ,it's got a sweet-tangy flavour..the sweetness is from the onions and tamarind gives the tangy flavour.

Thanks for dropping by,Dieter.You sure will love the taste..:)

Anonymous said...

Picture looks great :)

Sury said...

As an egg lover, I just have to make this! Looks and sounds lip-smacking. Thanks for sharing these wonderful recipes, Sailu!

GourmayMasala said...

Hey there Sailu,

This looks delicious! Nice twist on the egg curry I always seem to make. Besides, I love tamarind!

Anonymous said...

Sailu,
I am also from Andhra. This recipe is very yummy, I know how it tastes, this my favorite dish from my childhood, my mom use to prepare and I use to eat & enjoy

Madhu.......

sailu said...

Thanks Lera,GM and Sury.

Thanks for dropping by,Madhu..:).I am glad this dish brought home some childhood memories

Vineela said...

hi Sailu,
i have seen ur gudlapulusu.
i will also try in ur method and post u soon.
vineela

Tweety said...

I feel soo happy thrilled and happy when I see some of my favourite Mom's dishes displayed in blogs. This is one of them :)