Thursday, November 24, 2005

Murri Mixture ( Andhra Bhel Puri )


That's a picture of my favourite murri mixture in a newspaper package.
Eating bhajjis and murri mixture out of newspaper packages on the beach road of my city, Vishakhapatnam aka Vizag, has its own fun.There are numerous bajji wallas along the beach road that open during the evenings to serve the famous street foods - bajjis and murri mixture..and of course you have mirchi ka bajjis(mirapakaaya bajji)to spice things up a bit...:)but murri mixture is the most famous of them.

Murri mixture is a typical andhra street food, a mix of puffed rice, onions, tomato ,peanuts ,lemon juice and lots of coriander leaves (cilantro).Its tangy, cool and lightly spicy all at the same time.

Andhra street food is a culinary tradition that most Andhras wouldn’t dream of doing without.It includes the sweets,bajjis,pakoras,snacks and breads sold on city streets. Street food here is a learning experience by itself, cooked right before your eyes, reassuring not only of the freshness of the food being made but also the ingredients that go into preparing it.



That's Ramu my favourite bajji wala with his mobile bajji /murri mixture maker..:):)
Murri Mixture is synonymous with Vizag Beach.



City Tourists often yearn to taste this snack.



That's Ramu stuffing the bajjis with onions.

While many regions in India have their own versions of puffed rice mixture the most famous being the bhelpuri, the south indian version (andhra) is called murri mixture where puffed rice forms the base of the mixture.


To the puffed rice add some finely chopped tomatoes, onions and green chillies or chilli pwd,coriander leaves,roasted peanuts,boiled chick peas,chopped mammidi allam (mango ginger- a excellent herb which is optional),salt and a dash of lime and mix it well.You can add boiled channa too.Voila ..your murri mixture is ready!

[2 cups puffed rice,1 chopped onion,1 chopped tomato,1 chopped green chilli,1/3 tsp chilli pwd (optional),3 tbsp roasted peanuts,2 tbsp boiled chick peas,1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves,salt to taste,1 tbsp chopped mango ginger(optional)and 1 tsp lemon juice]

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Thanks for the pictures ... what a visual treat! My salivary glands got a good workout too. I've been craving Andhra street food lately (I am 6 months along into my pregnancy which might explain the cravings) so I really enjoyed this post. I will make this snack today or tomorrow since I actually have a package of maramaralu on hand.

sailu said...

your most welcome latha!congrats on your baby.I know pregnant women crave for these kinds of foods..i went thru the same feeling..so glad you enjoyed this post...

Anonymous said...

Thanks yaar...for taking me to my college days...Currently I am in a stupid place where I cant get the greatest food u have shown..

Anonymous said...

Great Yaar...After a long time seeing this Andhra food... Keep going.....

sailu said...

I understand anonymous...glad these pics reminded you of college...
Thanks Vikram.:):)

Anonymous said...

I'm not pregnant, and I'M craving bhelpuri, so I can understand Latha's feelings right now! :)

rums said...

wow now you made me miss 'jhal muri' (calcutta version) and bhel (b'bay version).
i will try making some at home one of these days.

sailu said...

yes rums,our street foods are so addictive..arent they..:):)

sailu said...

Yes,street food is very hard to resist,Prasad!

Anonymous said...

Wow. aa photos choose nooru ooripothondi naaku. inko 10 days lo India velthunna. Vizag vachina ventane train digi direct beach road ke velipothanu.

sailu said...

mee vizag visit enjoy cheyandi..:):)

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you Sailu for this. I spent my childhood weekends on Vizag beach road munching on those bhajjis and murri mixture..miss them and miss beach road very very much. thanks for receipe..i wonder if we can ever make those bhajjis and muri mix as lipsmacking as your raju makes. thanks
best wishes